Music Discussion 2023 – What we talked about – Download as a pdf
Willow School Music
What is Happening Musically in the Willow School?
- We are singing folk songs and changing them for our students
- We are making up new songs
- We are playing requests for children on the ipad
- We are teaching songs to children
- We are playing music while children eat
- We are using music to set or alter the mood
- We are making music in a circle with instruments
- We are using music to help us cope as adults
- We are teaching educational ideas with it (how to count, new words, new ideas)
- We are using music for transitions and to set expectations
- We are using music to soothe children during nap time
- We are using music to educate ourselves on body awareness
- We are using it to greet one another in community
- We are creating sound walls
- We are playing music during free-time
What Do We Want to Happen Musically in the Willow School?
- We want to sing songs that make us feel good
- We want to create music areas in our classrooms
- We want to create a listening area in the school
- We want to sing more in class
- We want more music in the room
- We want more actual instruments in the rooms
- We want speakers
- We want a song bag for our room
- We want more music to share, even if we don’t know or like it at first
- We want to know how to make instruments
- We want to include parents in our favorite songs
- We want parents to come teach music or show their musical ability
- We want songs to help with overstimulation
- We want songs to help process feelings
- We want to interact and engage through music
What Support Do We Need From Mr. Adam?
- We want to borrow instruments from the Music Room
- We want some helpful tips on crowd control
- We want more music recordings available in playlists
- We want Mr. Adam to pull out children during challenging situations
- We want some guidance on how to make music with our students beyond just singing
- We want copies of the book on how to make musical instruments
What Should We Remember About Music Making at The Willow School?
- Are we being intentional about our music use? Do we have a reason for every use of music in our room? What happens when music is used without intention?
- Do we recognize that we are already familiar with how to use ideas like quiet/loud, slow/fast, simple/complicated in our speaking and teaching, and that these are music ideas? Do we know how to use these simple ideas to make good music with the children on our own?
- Are we aware of the resources that the Willow School has to help us with music making, such as the Willow Song and Lesson Library: https://willowschoolga.com/parents/willow-music/willow-song-and-lesson-library/ and the playlists. Playlist Page