Willow Music – Studio Policy for Private Instruction
If you have just enrolled, please take the time to read our policy carefully, and return a copy to us signed at the bottom. Please explain the important pieces to your child, if you are not the primary student. The more familiar you and your children are with our Studio Policy, the more successful our relationship will be!
While we expect every learner to have different needs, all students must show that they are committed to learning. This means practicing regularly (individual goals will be set during lessons) and coming prepared for lessons, with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
Parents are expected to remain in the building during the lesson. Teachers are not obligated to be alone with students younger than 18 years of age. While a teacher may agree to waive this expectation for a particular lesson on a case by case basis, they are not obligated to do so. It is a breach of the Agreement for a parent to leave the premises without the prior consent of the teacher.
If a lesson is being conducted online, a parent must remain in the room with the student for the duration of the lesson.
We send all correspondence through e-mail, so please check yours regularly. E-mail is our preferred method of communication and is the easiest way to reach us, but please feel free to call or text if you have an urgent matter.
ATTENDANCE, RESCHEDULING, TARDINESS, AND MAKE-UPS:
Students are expected to attend their lessons regularly. Our livelihood depends on being able to keep lesson slots filled. For this reason, tuition will not be discounted or refunded for missed lessons. However, students may request a make-up lesson as long as 24 hours’ notice is given prior to a missed lesson. Students may receive a maximum of 2 make-up lessons per semester. Students who are late are entitled to the remainder of their lesson time – however, please be aware that we cannot stay beyond the end of our scheduled time.
Because we are active performers and full-time music educators, we occasionally have to miss lessons. In this circumstance, you may choose whether to skip the lesson (without charge) or schedule a make-up lesson.
Please be considerate of the building and grounds, and all furniture and items in our space, and expect the same of your children. Parking is available in the lot in front of, and to the side of the building. Make sure to lock your doors and do not leave any valuables in your car. Willow Music and property owners are not responsible for the condition of your automobile or the items inside.
Willow Music holds studio recitals twice a year. While these are a fun, low-pressure events, all students are expected to participate with at least one piece. We will ensure that each student is prepared to do well, and that the atmosphere at the recital is friendly! Parents are invited to bring food items to the recitals to make them true community events.
Tuition: tuition may be paid by the semester, monthly, or at the beginning of each lesson.
Payment may be made by bank transfer or check. There will be returned check fee of $10.00 in addition to any returned check fee that our bank has charged our account. Payment is made prior to the first lesson. Discounts are available to students who pay by the month or by the semester.
Recital fee: $15 per event per child (helps cover some of the costs associated with preparing a venue, issuing invitations, programs, and other incidental expenses). All enrolled students and parents are expected to pay the fee even if they will be absent.
Per copyright laws, students may not perform from copied music. We will discuss any necessary purchases with students and/or parents. Students will be expected to purchase their own music.
CESSATION OF LESSONS:
There are several reasons the student-teacher relationship may not be workable at a given time:
- Students are not meeting expectations or students or parents act in a physically or verbally inappropriate manner in the studio.
- We are not meeting our parents’ or students’ expectations.
- The student has decided to leave the studio for reasons unrelated to our expectations (moving, decision to stop, etc.)
We will always attempt to respectfully resolve these issues with a face-to-face discussion. We ask that parents let us know as politely and factually as possible when they believe their expectations for the lessons are not being met.
In the event that we cannot resolve an issue, we may decide to cease the lesson arrangement. Please remember that no refunds can be given. We respectfully ask that any request to discuss the termination of lessons comes at least four lessons before the last one. This will give us time to adequately resolve the issue or prepare the transition so that we have the best possible end to our relationship.
Successful music lessons require a significant commitment from parents, students, and teachers.
- Encourage and keep track of practice sessions. For students 12 and under, this will mean direct supervision and guidance.
- Know your student’s practice goals and methods so that you can assist effectively.
- Have your student to his or her lesson on time.
- Abide by all studio policies, and make sure that students understand these policies as well.
- Make tuition payments on time.
- Provide and properly maintain your instrument, notebook and music books.
- Keep in direct contact with both teacher and student about successes, struggles, questions, concerns. Communication is key!
Please plan to spend the first 5 minutes of your student’s lesson about once a month to touch base with us about the student’s progress and needs.
- Practice regularly and effectively!
- Practice methods and goals will be addressed in lessons – please make sure that you are clear on the expectations.
- Maintain weekly practice log.
- Arrive for lessons on time.
- Bring lesson materials (pencil, all music, notebook) to all lessons.
- Maintain and care for your instrument on a daily basis.
- Have fun and keep an open mind and positive attitude!
- Take advantage of opportunities to perform, compete, collaborate with other young artists, and hear live performances by professional musicians.
- Provide a weekly lesson.
- Cancel lessons by phone and email with 24-hour advance notice.
- Utilize the finest teaching methods, materials, music, and literature available.
- Provide a solid and comprehensive musical understanding.
- Foster a love of music through fun, humor, understanding, and positive reinforcement.
- Forge and nurture a connection with each student and work in each student’s best interest.
- Acknowledge and praise students’ individual strengths and adjust teaching style accordingly.
- Provide a safe, nurturing atmosphere that encourages growth and exploration.
- Help students to develop life skills such as self-discipline, responsibility, and self-esteem through their study of music.
- Prepare the student for auditions, contests, and performances.
- Publicize concerts, events, and opportunities related to students’ musical studies.
- Help students to grow as musicians and as people, keeping musical goals integrated with human goals.
All students and parents agree to be bound by the above policies which may be amended from time to time in the sole discretion of the Academy. For the most current studio policy, please visit https://grantparkarts.com/studio-policy
Director’s Name (Printed): Adam Cole, Director, Willow Music Director’s Signature:
Student’s Name (Printed): __________________________________________
Student’s Signature: _______________________________________________
Parent’s Name (Printed) _____________________________________________
I/We, the above participant(s), and parent(s)/guardian(s), do hereby consent to participation in the above program, including all activities to the program. I/We assume all responsibilities for, and risks and hazards of, participation in the named program, even though all will be done to keep all children safe, should risk or injury occur.
Parent’s Signature (if student is under 18 years of age) Date
Emergency Contact Info
Name of Child_____________________________________________________ Age ___________
Parent 1 – Name __________________________________________________________________
Phone 1 _______________________ Phone 2 ________________________
Parent 2 – Name __________________________________________________________________
Phone 1 _______________________ Phone 2 ________________________
Relevant medical information_______________________________________________________